Here at NewStyle, we think our homeowners are pretty special. They may be 55-plus but they are totally enjoying their new lives. They love to socialize and have fun. They love to travel and discover new things! And thanks to our carefree, maintenance-free lifestyle, they have all the time and freedom they need to explore the world!
According to an AARP survey, baby boomers are spending $120 billion a year on leisure travel. And no matter where they’re headed, they’re just as budget-minded as their younger counterparts. So here are a few tips for having adventures without breaking the bank.
- Plan more & save more! According to the AARP survey, cost is the #1 overall barrier to traveling. However, survey respondents said they plan trips well in advance and save up for vacations.
- Use a trip planning website like TripAdvisor, Expedia or Travelocity. They can help you find great deals on plane tickets, hotels, car rentals, etc.
- Maturity definitely has its perks. AARP members can take advantage of discounts on select hotels and up to 25 percent savings on cruise credits and car rentals. Also look for reduced rates on state and city websites. Hotel brands also offer substantial discounts. Do your research, and always inquire about special senior rates.
- Carpe Diem. 2017 gasoline prices are averaging $2.46 per gallon. Accordingly, people are taking longer and more extended road trips. It also means they are spending that extra cash on lodging, shopping, and dining out. What are you waiting for? Get going!
- Take advantage of discounts afforded to retired military personnel. Plenty of hotel brands, including Choice Hotels, Hilton and select Disney properties, offer reduced room rates for retired military members.
- Don’t forget travel medical insurance. A necessity for travelers who are enrolled in Medicare and do not have coverage extended outside the United States. Travel Medical Insurance covers seniors who want coverage for emergency medical insurance and emergency medical evacuation coverage.